Monday, February 1, 2010

Oscar Predictions Before The Nominations

Before the nominations are even announced, I want to see how well I can predict the winners. So we will shortly look back and see how I did. Challenge me if you dare!

Best Picture: The Hurt Locker
This is going to be super close. But I think The Hurt Locker will edge out Avatar. Just a couple days ago I was thinking Avatar, but usually (though not so much lately) the director that wins the DGA award also wins the Best Picture Oscar. That would mean The Hurt Locker.

Best Director: Kathyrn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker Bigelow is James Cameron's ex-wife, making this battle a bit more fun. I originally thought they would award this prize to Bigelow while giving the All Time Box Office Champ the bigger prize. Usually when I go against my first instinct I am wrong. But I think The Hurt Locker will win both of these while Avatar picks up many technical awards.

Best Actor: Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart He is overdue, but this will not be a lifetime achievement award either. Bridges is one of our very best actors.

Best Actress: Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side This one will be close. I thought Meryl Streep would win a few weeks ago, but Bullock won the SAG award, so she is getting love from her peers. There are plenty of reasons to argue either one will win, but I will go with Bullock, as opposed to Streep, who will have many more chances to add to her two Oscars. There is a small chance the battle could lead to an Emily Blunt victory, but I doubt it.

Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds
He is great and I would say a lock except that the supporting categories are where a surprise usually happens. But I think he will avoid an upset.


Best Supporting Actress: Mo'Nique, Precious
Nobody has won with a name like this since, Cher. It is time.

Best Original Screenplay: (500) Days Of Summer
Tarantino has a real shot. But, I have a hunch...

Best Adapted Screeplay: Up in The Air

Best Animated Feature: Up

Out guess me and win a prize! Undetermined as of yet...
Post a Comment